Tonight I was watching the older Sci Fi show Dresden Files. As you are probably aware I am in love with the book series. What you may not know is I only found out about the series because of the show. But rewatching it now is proving to be difficult because all I see are the differences. Harry's apartment isn't right, Murphy is wrong. Bob is wrong, characters are missing, the car is wrong, etc. All in all I liked the show when it was on, but I see why it failed. Dresden is about the characters and the relationships and the magic. The show was disjointed at best. The episodes don't appear to follow one another and it sort of feels from the very beginning you started about four episodes in. Any way this got me thinking about the books I loved and the movies that managed to capture some of the magic.
- Gone With the Wind (Can you go wrong with Clark Gable? I don't think so)
- Pride and Prejudice (A&E not that crap remake. Colin Firth is Mr. Darcy)
-Lord of the Rings (Missing some stuff and changed some minor details which drives me absolutely crazy, but it was still awesome)
- Harry Potter (Especially the first one. It was like my imagination coming to life)
- American Psycho (not exactly like the book but considering what the book was like it is a helluva of a adaptation)
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Like I would leave that off, this is bat country)
-Sense and Sensibility (Emma Thompson did a pretty great job adapting Austen's work for this)
- Silence of the Lambs (I love the Hannibal Lecter books, but this movie kicks ass too)
And that's the list off the top of my head. What did I miss? What adaptations do you love?